Gardens are meant to enhance the beauty of a place. However, for growing a garden usually you need a lot of space and it is just really hard to grow and maintain it inside a home or an office or any other indoor place.
Furthermore, maintaining a garden is a messy work and it takes time too plus there are certain requirements for vegetation which can mostly be fulfilled at outdoor spaces only.
A beautiful garden is filled with lots of plants, flowers, and vegetations along with creative gardening ideas. It is often hard for a gardener to disturb this beauty by cutting these wonderful things just for the sake of increasing insider beauty. It’s a simple thing!
Nobody builds anything with hard work and lots of efforts just to destroy and ruin it in the future. Thus, the problem arises how to increase the indoor beauty with the help of a garden without ruining the outdoor maintained garden.
The solution to this problem is by growing and maintaining a cutting garden 🙂
Cutting gardens are grown and maintained in the present to be cut in the future. It’s similar to reaping fruits from a plant. Cutting gardens are grown in the garden itself but at those places which are not easily noticeable. This is done so that when the flowers are cut from the cutting garden then the whole garden doesn’t look spoiled.
Simply put, cutting gardens are treated as a source of plants and flowers for indoor spaces without actually maintaining an indoor garden.
How To Grow A Cutting Garden?
Just like I said earlier that cutting gardens are grown inside your original garden at locations that are not easily noticeable. However, this does not mean that these gardens should be grown without taking in consideration of requirements of the plants that you will be growing for cutting.
Though they are grown and maintained at odd places but the plants that are grown in these garden need same attention to their requirements as any other normal plant.
In fact, sometimes the cutting plants need more care and efforts than the normal plants because of their nature. Growing a cutting garden is almost same as growing any other garden.
- The first and foremost step is to choose an ideal location for the cutting garden. The location should not be easily noticeable, filled with fertile soil, easy to maintain, and receive enough sunlight.
- Once you have got yourself a good location for the cutting garden you should get started with its planning. You need to plan your each and every step beforehand so that you can minimize any probabilities of mistakes in future. You need to plan for the plants and flowers you will be growing, the daily maintenance you need to provide and a bunch of other things.
- A cutting garden needs a highly fertile soil filled up with organic matter. So, you should make sure that your soil fulfills this otherwise you can add organic compost to it or take help of fertilizers. After ensuring that you have got your soil filled up with enough organic matter you need to start planting in it.
- You need to analyze the requirements of the plants that you want to grow and then compare it with your garden location to understand the extent to which it can fulfill those needs. Based on the results you get you should start planting. It is essential that your garden location is able to fulfill the requirements of the plants in order to get a healthy harvest.
- For plantation in your cutting garden, you should always get started with annuals and perennials. They are easy to grow and give a repetitive plus quick bloom.
Tips For Growing & Maintaining A Cutting Garden
Growing and maintaining a cutting garden is an easy job if you know what you are doing and are aware of certain things that can help you out in the process by easing out your job. Otherwise, it can become one of the toughest jobs to do as a gardener!
- Always give a preference to long stem plants and flowers for a cutting garden as it will be easy to cut and display them.
- Instead of growing a single type of plant you should always look out for variety and diversification. Go for some plants for fragrance and for some colorful ones and so on.
- Consistency is the key in gardening, You need to put in regular efforts without much breaks for an optimum result.
- Weeds are one of the biggest problems for cutting gardens. Make sure that you get rid of them before you begin plantation and ensure that they don’t come back to compete with your plantations.