As the name suggests, “fishing” is an activity to try to catch fish out of the water. Fishing can be done in any water body that is holding a good amount of fish but normally it is done in big water bodies often found in the wild. The term fishing is also applied to catching many other aquatic organisms except aquatic mammals. So, if you are trying to catch other aquatic animals such as mollusks or cephalopods then that would also be referred to as fishing.
Fishing is a very popular recreational activity among the westerns and apart from recreational purposes it also contributes a lot towards the daily consumption of people all over the globe. In fact, commercial fishing and large-scale fisheries are a big employment source for many.
TYPES OF FISHING OR FISHING PURPOSES
Fishing is not done without any purpose. Although there can be any purpose for fishing but broadly fishing is categorized under 3 purposes:
Fishing done on a very small scale using the traditional outlook that is with the help of traditional methods and tools is referred to as traditional fishing. This sort of fishing is mainly done for self-benefits which include but are not limited to survival, self-nourishment, sale purposes, commercial usage etc.
Traditional fishing techniques applied by fishermen tend to vary from place to place because of the knowledge passed over to the present generation from their ancestors.
Fishing done for the purposes of joy, fun, pleasure, and self-enrichment is referred to as recreational fishing. This type of fishing is usually not done for any benefits but only for enjoying a good time and satisfying personal inner needs and egos.
Sports fishing is also categorized under this purpose as it is mainly done for a competition and is interrelated with recreational fishing. Recreational fishermen often tend to log their catches and participate in sport or game fishing.
Recreational fishing can be done with either the traditional outlook or the modern outlook. People often use a balanced one out of the both based on the knowledge and requirements.
Fishing done for the sole purpose of commercial usage is referred to as commercial fishing. Commercial fishing is done in very large water bodies where there is an abundant amount of quality fish available. Furthermore, this type of fishing deals with capturing almost all types of fishes in large quantities instead of a specific one.
Commercial fishing falls under the primary sector among the 3 sectors of business. Commercial fishermen take help of a lot of modern technology and modern fishing techniques and equipment to facilitate their work as they have to face adverse difficulties in capturing and transporting their catch.
The term “fishing techniques” basically symbolizes the methods applied to catch fish out of the water. There are numerous fishing techniques but broadly they are categorized under 6 major techniques. These are:
- Hand Fishing
For different types of fishing, fishermen tend to use different techniques but sometimes they may use similar ones. In other words, the techniques that are used in traditional fishing may or may not be used for recreational or commercial fishing. This is mainly due to the nature of different fishing type and requirements at a certain given point.
Furthermore, the techniques being used also depend on the area where fishing is being done. Even the type of aquatic animal you are trying to catch plays a big role in deciding what technique you should opt for.
Hand fishing is a technique used to catch fish or other aquatic animals by bare hands. This technique is applied by a single individual at a time and is often practiced in the case where a single fish or only a small amount of fish needs to be caught mainly from the shore.
Hand fishing is popularly used on beaches to catch animals like shellfish, crabs, kelps etc. This technique is not viable to use where the requirement is of a large amount of fish or where fish is required for commercial usage. It is a traditional fishing technique used commonly for survival or self-nourishment purposes.
The technique of netting to catch fish is highly related to trapping as it has the same idea as a base. This technique involves catching fish with the help of a fishing net spread across a large area of the water body. The fishing net is a mesh made of thin knotted thread or wires. It is thrown on the water body with force and fish gets trapped in this net.
Netting is the primary method for large scale and commercial fishing. It is further facilitated by many modern techniques to enhance its effectiveness in large-scale fishing. The type of fishing net required depends on a lot of factors such as the animal you are trying to catch, the area you want to cover, features of your location, catching goals etc.
Similar to the idea of the netting technique traps are used to catch fish by setting up a permanent or a temporary trap at a location where the prey is most likely to get caught. An interesting fact to note about this fishing technique is that it can be used to catch fish in traditional, recreational as well as commercial fishing. It is universal in nature and is applicable to all fishing types.
Furthermore, the technique of trapping is commonly used for catching other animals also. It is not limited to catching fish only. The only limitation to this fishing technique is that the person building the trap should be highly knowledgeable about this sector in order to ensure a catch otherwise the trap will fail. Moreover, testing is also essential to ensure usability of the trap before actually using it for catching the prey.
Angling is by far one of the most popular fishing methods. The technique of angling involves fishing using a hook, rod, reel, lines and a bait. Sometimes the line is also attached with a sinker so that it increases in weight and can easily go down in the water.
It is one of the classic techniques of fishing with a traditional outlook that has been enhanced by the modern technology. Interestingly, most of the recreational fishermen use the technique of angling to catch fish. Moreover, it is the core method for competitive or sports fishing.
Destructive fishing is that technique of fishing which is done with a sole purpose of catching fish or any other aquatic prey without any concern of the aquatic habitats and ecosystem and tends to involve an irreversible damage to it. In the eyes of law, destructive fishing is considered to be illegal however these laws are rarely and inadequately exercised in many parts of the world.
The most common type of destructive fishing technique is blast fishing as it is economical in nature and often provides a big catch as the end result. Fishes are killed by the shock of small dynamites or homemade bombs and then they are collected from the water either from the surface or from the bottom.
Spearfishing is one of the oldest technique of fishing which is rarely practiced nowadays. It includes catching fish with a normal spear, harpoon, trident or any other common sharp stick or a specialized spear. This technique of fishing was used for hunting by the ancient man not only to catch fish but many other animals as well.
Nowadays, spearfishing is barely used for catching fish. In most of the cases, it is either used by the old tribes in the forests, for survival or just for recreational purposes. In commercial fishing, this technique is used only on rare occasions and that too with many modern enhancements to the actual technique and outlook.
HOW TO CATCH A FISH?
Learning how to catch a fish is a simple thing to do provided you do it in the right way. There are many ways to catch fish and depending on the fishing technique you apply it can either be super easy or it can be extremely difficult. The best way to do normal recreational fishing is going with angling technique. For commercial fishing, netting and trapping are one of the best choices to go with.
- The first and foremost step in the process of learning how to fish is to identify and decide a fishing spot and then lay down a proper plan for your activities, goals, and objectives plus the means you believe will be necessary to accomplish it. For doing this you got to have some extensive knowledge about fishing but if you don’t know much about it then you can find lots of information about this sector on our site. I suggest going through this info before you actually begin your fishing journey.
- An ideal fishing spot is the one with plenty of quality fishes plus a good room for fishing accompanied with bafflingly beautiful climatic conditions. Once you have got yourself a nice fishing spot then it’s time to acquire knowledge about the type of fish that are in the particular location. This can be accomplished by talking to local fishermen of that certain place.
- Based on your fishing goals and objectives you need to opt for a fishing technique that you think will be most suitable. It’s quite a possibility that you may find multiple suitable fishing techniques but if you aren’t a fishing maestro then it’s best to stick to a single best option instead of the multiple ones. This way you will be able to focus more and the effectiveness in the appliance of the technique will increase which will ultimately lead to a better catch.
- Next, comes getting the suitable gear and supplies for the technique of fishing that you wish to apply. Generally, you will need a small or a big boat, fish capturing essentials specific to your technique, fishing goggles, fishing gloves and a fishing outfit. Furthermore, it is essential to obtain a fishing license to do it legally especially if you are planning to do commercial fishing.
- Once you have every basic fishing need set up then it’s time to move on to the predetermined fishing location. It is recommended to start up your fishing journey with a regular fisherman for a couple of beginner trips so that you get to learn from an experienced person in reality. The person can be a member of your family, a friend or a hired professional fisherman.
- On reaching the destination you need to set up your fish traps specific to your fishing technique carefully with full attention and focus so that you can minimize the risk of errors. Remember, one little error is capable enough to ruin all of your efforts so it will not be viable for you to leave any room for errors at this spot.
- Wait until you get your desired catch in your fishing trap and then carefully bring it up to your boat. Depending on your purpose there are various things you can do with your catch. Most recreational fisherman love to take pics of themselves with their catch and then release the fish back to the water or they love to eat them. If you are a commercial fisherman then it’s probably the best option to keep the fish with yourself and sell it in the market for a good price.
FISHING TIPS & TRICKS
Fishing is a skill and just like any other skill a person tends to develop his own theories, tips, and tweaks based on his own extent of knowledge and experience. These tips not only ease out the fishing process but also facilitates various other fishing-related works.
In short, the more these sort of tips you can come through or develop yourself the more you will enhance your skills provided the theories or tips that you develop prove to be useful in reality. Anyways, here are a few basic fishing tips and tricks that will definitely help you out no matter which fishing technique you follow.
- Having knowledge about fishing is a wonderful thing if you are a fisherman. However, obtaining knowledge about the aquatic life, habitats and ecosystems is also crucial and helps in more ways than you can even imagine. The more you get to know about your catch the more effective and efficient you will get at fishing.
- Having a proper fishing gear is highly necessary. Furthermore, the fishing gear should be aptly fit for the fishing technique you are planning to use. You can use a couple of substitutes for some of the fishing equipment but not for all especially the essential ones.
- If you hate a certain food item then it is highly likely that you will not even look at it. Same thing goes with fishes too. You need to attract the fishes with the baits that they get highly attracted to but if you go fishing with the wrong one then it’s probably a great luck if you get a good quality catch.
- Safety is the biggest priority in everything. Make sure that your fishing gear includes an abundance of safety gear and it is properly functioning. Furthermore, always keep updated maps of the location of your swimming and nearby areas. Weather reports and conditions should also be paid a great attention to because it is not a good idea to go fishing on a possibly stormy day.
- Many fishes have some sort of things for their protection. Some have sharp teeth while some have poisonous or sharp fins or body. You should always handle your catch with care and try not to rush it. If your purpose to keep the fish with you then you should kill it right off when you catch it.
- If your primary purpose of fishing is recreational and is to take a quick pic with your catch then you should probably get on with it quickly as it doesn’t make sense to release a fish back into the water that is already dead.
- When it comes to fishing then patience is the key to either make it or break it. It’s normal to not have a quick reaction right away you set up your fishing trap. You need to wait for it and as it is said, “good things come to those who wait”. The key to patience is not getting discouraged. If you are doing everything correctly then you will definitely get a great catch. Sometimes, it tends to take more time than usual before it happens.