Making a professional painting is a difficult task especially if you are doing it for the first time. This is because you are not much aware of its in’s and out’s and still have a lot to learn. In order to master the skill of painting, you are going to need lots and lots of regular practice.
But is there any other way around? Yes, there is definitely one! At this place comes the role of sketching. Even for the pros, it is beneficial to make a rough sketch of the painting first for reference purposes. If you are beginner then it is no less than elixir for you.
Sketching helps a painter to understand what he will be painting in actual and it helps in simplifying the subject. Sketching helps to minimize the minor errors at delicate points that painters might face if a sketch is not made prior the actual painting.
HOW TO DO SKETCHING?
Don’t have the time to read the full article or don’t wanna read ahead? No worries 🙂 Just check out this video below and you are all good to go!
Don’t wanna see the video? That’s cool too! Keep reading below 🙂
Sketching if done smartly is a very simple process that can be finished in minutes. But if you do it in the wrong way then it may become one of the most difficult and time-consuming processes in painting. So, what’s the best way to do it? Here it goes:
- Firstly, take a clean sheet and make sure that you are in a place where your focus stays stable on the subject.
- Remove any obstacles or hindrances which may disturb you from your surrounding.
- Now, start drawing a basic outline of the subject with a very light hand by drawing each part bit by bit with a technique similar to shading.
- Devote most of the time to this part only in the sketching process because it is the foundation of the whole process.
- Once you are finished sketching the basic outline with a light hand then it is time to darken this outline to make the finalized sketch.
- This darkened outline will help you get familiarized with your subject as well as simplify the whole painting for a clean painting.
- Now, with the help of an eraser clean the uneven ends of this outline and redraw the outline if required.
- Make sure that you are totally satisfied with your sketch before proceeding further because there is no going back once you have begun the painting.
Sketching will work as a complete reference guide in future and will help you a lot in the painting process. For beginners, it is recommended to make the full sketch but pros can even proceed further by sketching only the essential elements of the subject.
Do note the points about the painting that comes to your mind while sketching on a separate sheet especially the tricky parts. The more you will sketch the more you will get better at it because it is also a skill just like painting and more you practice the better you will get at it.