Fishing gear is a vital component of fishing. Having a suitable and good working fishing gear is a must for effective and efficient fishing.
But because of its nature, this gear needs regular maintenance to work properly each and every time.
This, however, is often ignored by many resultant to which fishermen face in fishing mainly due to inefficient fishing gear. This problem is quite common in fishing line and it is often much prevalent in this area as compared to the others.
So, how do you go around solving it?
Let’s find out!
Maintaining A Fishing Line
For angling, having a fishing line in a good working condition is an absolute necessity. Many casual fishermen ignore this fact despite its importance.
A bad fishing line usually results in a problem with casting and fish landing. In most of the cases, the problem of the bad fishing line can be fixed with little efforts on its maintenance.
- A fishing line has a great role in fishing for an angler. So it’s natural that after some time it will get out of its usability standards. In such cases, it’s highly recommended to replace it with a fresh one. If it’s not possible right away then you can make it work with a few tweaks for a short period of time with a bit less efficiency. But in the long run, it is hugely recommended to replace it.
- Many fishermen believe that the life of a fishing line is relatively short which is true to some extent. However, in some cases, it’s possible to make your fishing line last for a very long period of time. The key to it is to keep the line out of direct exposure to heat or sunlight.
- Leaving your fishing line in the open in crowded areas such as docks or in extreme weather conditions may result in a damage to it. This damage is sometimes visible and sometimes visible. Nonetheless, it should always be cared for and kept in a stable and safe environment when not in use.
- The materials from which your line is built also play a big role in determining its life. Obviously, low-quality lines will have a shorter life span than higher quality lines. Another thing that you should be kept in mind is that microfilament lines are usually better than the usual nylon lines when we talk about durability. This is because they do not experience any damage from exposure to sunlight or heat.
- Abrasion problem is quite common for a fishing line. In fact, it is the number one reason for the breakage of a fishing line. Therefore, a fishing line should be checked for abrasions periodically and they should be fixed as soon as they are found.
- Cleaning your fishing line from time to time is also very important especially when the line has been exposed to dusty winds or other similar particles. A light sprinkle or spray of fresh water should usually suffice for the purpose of cleaning the fishing line.
- Using a fishing line lubricant helps in relaxation of the line and yields a better performance of it on an overall basis. So it is recommended to use it if possible.