Photographers face many problems while taking photographs. Although this job sounds simple but in reality is full of challenges! And, one of these challenges includes avoiding the problem of red eyes in photographs.
Many photographers freak out when they see and often have no explanation for the happening of this event. It’s quite an understandable situation and it literally happens all the time.
Although people find it hard to explain but it’s actually quite simple to explain the cause of this problem. The problem of red-eye is also referred to as the problem of bright red pupils is caused because of the reflection off blood vessels from the back of the eyes typically to the flash of a camera.
This happens because the light from the flash of the camera is reflected back to it at the same angle.
Other than typical situations, the problem of red-eye occurs mostly in dark places under the following conditions:
- When the pupils are dilated.
- When the camera’s flash is used.
How To Solve This Problem?
The best way of solving this problem is to actually work on solving out its cause and it’s very simple to do so.
Since the cause of this problem is the reflection of light back to the camera at the same angle so all you got to do is change that angle.
Another way to solve this problem is by working upon the light entering into the eyes. Both of these things can be accomplished with the help of the following measures:
- The most obvious way to solve the problem of angle is by changing the angle of your camera. In order to prevent the red-eye problem from occurring just keep the camera at such an angle that it is not parallel to your subject’s eyes.
- Adjusting the light levels in your surrounding to such an extent (usually making it more brighter) that the flash is no longer required can actually help in fixing this issue.
- Another way to accomplish the same is by turning off the flash from your camera or using a flash diffuser.
- Technology has greatly advanced in the world of digital photography. Many advanced cameras have an inbuilt feature of red-eye removal which can be used to fix this problem by processing the image from your phone only. However, it is to be noted that in most of the cases it will just depreciate the density of redness from the eyes instead of eliminating it completely.
- Using other photo editing tools such as Adobe Photoshop can prove fairly beneficial in fixing this problem as well as further enhancing the image if deemed necessary. However, in this case, you will be needing extensive knowledge of graphic editing or at least the knowledge on using such software. Luckily there are many tutorials available online and such software usually come with some sort of help guides.